Chicken and dumplings is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods, or it was until I stopped liking chicken. This is my spin on the classic, with creamy baby Dutch yellow potatoes filling in for the chicken.
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
3 tablespoons Irish-style butter
1 yellow onion, small diced
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
16 ounces baby Dutch yellow potatoes, halved or quartered
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
10 cups vegetable broth
½ cup flour
½ cup heavy cream
3 cans of small biscuits – raw (not Grands or similar), cut into quarters
Salt and pepper
Fresh parsley (optional)
- Add the butter to a Dutch or French oven over medium low heat. Once melted, add the onions and dried herbs). Cook until translucent (about 8-10 minutes), being careful not to burn.
- Add the potatoes. Cover and cook for about 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Add the frozen vegetables, vegetable broth, and flour. Use a whisk to incorporate the flour.
- Bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for another 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Add the biscuit pieces, and allow to steam uncovered for 2-3 minutes before turning. Once the dumplings start to cook, continue stirring gently until done (about 6-8 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, with fresh parsley if desired.