(vegetarian, gluten free)
I’m going to keep the description short and sweet because I made these weeks ago and have been putting off posting it out of shear laziness. Actually the reason I thought to post them is because my long lost cousin brought over stuffed shells for me and the kids tonight, and it reminded me. And yeah, a real long lost cousin! This past Sunday, the kids and I went to our first Braves games with my mom and stepdad. My cousin, who I’d never met, is an usher at the stadium. The whole day was so much fun, but how cool is it to meet a new family member when you’re 35?
These lasagna rolls are a little more work than lasagna, but they turn out so pretty and are a summery option to a normally heavy dinner.
Total Time: 1 hour
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
3 zucchini, rinsed and sliced on a mandolin (medium setting)
16 ounces part skim ricotta
2 eggs, room temperature
6 ounces grated mozzarella cheese, divided (4 oz/2 oz)
4 ounces grated parmesan cheese, divided (3 oz/1 oz)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon onion powder
Salt and pepper
12 ounces Rao’s arrabiata sauce
- Add the zucchini to a paper towel-lined sheet pan in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ricotta, eggs, 4 ounces of mozzarella, 3 ounces of parmesan, oregano, garlic powder, basil, parsley, onion powder, and salt and pepper.
- Take a strip of zucchini, and add one tablespoon of the mixture to the center. Roll tightly, and stand up in a baking dish. Repeat the with rest of the zucchini until all the cheese mixture is used up.
- Re-roll any that have loosened up, and they will stay tighter now against the rest of the zucchini.
- Spoon the arrabiata sauce into the pan between the zucchini.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheeses and a little dried parsley.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, and continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese and sauce are bubbling.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, and serve.