Turkey Pumpkin Chili Biscuit Bake
This chili is a smoky, sweet variety that gets baked in the oven after initially cooking. I love adding the biscuits to the top because they stay a little bit gooey and soft on the bottom, but flaky on the time. And you don’t need chips now!
I like adding the pumpkin to this too because the traditional smoky flavors of pumpkin are just about the same ones you get in chili. I didn’t use as much of a variety as I usually do– just coriander, cinnamon, chipotle, and smoked paprika. It gives this chili a perfectly warm and smoky flavor. During the fall and winter, we have chili about once a week, and I have fun experimenting with new kinds.
On another note, I failed at making hummus today so that recipe is in the garbage, and I’ll have to try it again another time. I think I added too much tahini and blended the olive oil for too long. Anyway, that’s for another day!
Total Time: 1 hour
Difficulty Level: Easy
2 ½ pounds lean ground turkey
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper diced
3 tablespoons chipotle powder
3 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3-5 dashes Cholula hot sauce
1 -15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 -15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 -15 ounce can pumpkin puree
Salt and pepper, to taste
12 frozen biscuits (I used Grands Flaky Layers)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the ground turkey to a large pan, and cook on medium until almost done.
- Add the chopped onion, peppers, chipotle powder, paprika, coriander, cinnamon, and hot sauce. Turn the heat down to medium low, and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn the heat down to low, and add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and pumpkin puree. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the chili mixture out evenly into 1 large and 1 small casserole dish.
- Top the chili with the biscuits (8 should fit on the large dish, and 4 on the small).
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or until biscuits are fluffy and golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.