Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Mexican flavors are one of my most favorites and possibly the easiest to play around with. I really love enchiladas, but I’m not a fan of all the care you have to take with the corn tortillas. This casserole takes the flavors of the enchilada and makes it easier, with no soaking and no rolling. As with most casseroles, you can assemble the whole thing up to 3 days in advance and just bake before serving. Since this has chicken and refried beans, the only thing you really need to complete this meal is a little salad and some sour cream or Greek yogurt.
Total Time: 6 hours (including 4 hours cooking time for chicken)
Difficulty Level: Easy
4 small or 3 medium sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 small onions, sliced thinly
1 28 ounce can red enchilada sauce
1 tablespoon chipotle powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
16-20 small corn tortillas, cut in half
1 – 16 ounce can refried black beans
10 ounces freshly grated Monterrey Jack cheese
Dried Parsley (optional)
For serving: freshly chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream
- Add the chicken breasts, sliced onions, enchilada sauce, chipotle powder, cumin, and garlic powder to a slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours. Remove the chicken, shred it, and add it back to the sauce.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Build the casserole. Start with a thin layer of the chicken in red enchilada sauce. For the first layer, try to use mostly sauce to create an even surface.
- Next add a layer of the tortillas to completely cover the sauce.
- On top of the tortillas, smooth a layer of the refried black beans.
- Sprinkle ¼ of the cheese mixture on top. Repeat the layers until you’ve used everything up.
- Finish with another layer of tortillas and of cheese. Sprinkle with dried parsley. Cover with foil, and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and continue to cook for an additional 20-25 minutes until the top is brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, and allow casserole to rest for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Serve with freshly chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream.