Red Shrimp Curry Soup with Rice Noodles
This dish is a winner. First off, it’s gorgeous. Second, it tastes like authentic Thai restaurant food. And third, even better because you can make it in your home in less than 1 hour! The spicy bowl of noodles make it super comforting, while the shrimp and veggies keep it light and filling. This is perfect any time of year –even on a stormy summer day.
I use frozen shrimp for this because it’s usually cheaper, and since they’re getting mixed in with all the other flavors, you don’t need to use fresh shrimp here. If you don’t like cilantro, try basil instead! This dish is one of JW’s and my new fave go-to’s. (PS—you can even make it vegan by substituting chickpeas for shrimp if you like!)
Total Time: 45 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 small onion, small diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1- 2 inch knob of ginger, peeled and minced
1 red bell pepper, medium diced
1 yellow bell pepper, medium diced
3- 16 ounce cans light coconut milk
4 cups chicken broth
4 ounces red curry paste
Zest and juice of 2 limes
24 ounces frozen shrimp, thawed, peeled, and deveined
8 ounces thin rice noodles
¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper
2 scallions, sliced
- Heat coconut oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the red and yellow bell peppers, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, curry paste, and lime juice and zest. Bring everything up to a boil, and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the noodles, shrimp, and chopped cilantro, and cook for about 5-6 minutes– until the shrimp and noodles are cooked through.
- Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with sliced scallions and more lime.