Pretty Things: May 2017
1. H2o Plus: Sea Salt Collection. I have been waiting to share this product for months because it didn’t feel right sharing a sea salt spray in the middle of winter. I found this stuff last year on clearance because they were changing their packaging, and now I’m hooked. I was worried when I bought it that the “clearance” sticker meant they were discontinuing it– thankfully that wasn’t the case. There’s a whole line of sea salt products, but the spray is my favorite. It’s an alternative to moisturizer during the hot months, and it smells like the beach. Not in a fake banana-coconut sunscreen way, but in a real authentically beachy way. It’s so refreshing. I also used it in my hair.
2. Alton Brown: Pickled Watermelon Rind. Alton Brown is kind of a mad scientist when it comes to food. I love the idea of pickled watermelon rind for several reasons. First, I usually throw away the rind, but it would be cool to turn it into something new. Second, I love pickles. And third, I love watermelon (but who doesn’t??)
3. Heather Christo: Cilantro, Corn, Potato, and Poblano Chowder. The colors in this soup are so beautiful! If you’ve never checked out Heather’s blog, it is one of the most inventive and unusually photographed I’ve come across. Many of her recipes are vegan or gluten free, and the are all made with allergies in mind. Everything she makes really is this pretty.
4. A Cozy Kitchen: Spicy Cucumber Margarita. If you’ve never tried a cucumber drink, you should! I love infused cucumber water, cucumber soda, and cucumber sparkling water. I also love jalapenos and margaritas. Since Cinco de Mayo is coming soon, it’s a perfect time to buy some tequila and try something new!
5. Bobby Flay: Grape Focaccia. Grapes are at their best between May and September (even though I tend to buy them all year). I love focaccia because it’s airy and crispy while also being chewy and doughy –kind of like a round baguette, I guess? But much more flavorful because of the salt and olive oil. This grape focaccia would be perfect on a warm night with some wine and a good salad.
6. Soap Queen: Soothing Floral Bath Salts. Every time I find a new homemade beauty product, I always swear it’s the prettiest one I’ve seen so far. And this one is no exception. This would be a really gorgeous homemade gift for a good friend.
7. How Sweet Eats: Summer Skillet Gnocchi. Look at the char on the corn! And the basil! And the cheese! Something about Jessica’s recipes make me want to use exclamation marks. Her pictures seem to jump off the page, and this is basically like summer in a bowl. And in May, I’m pretty much behaving as if it’s summer anyway.
8. Giada de Laurentiis: S’mores Pizzette. However, if it’s still a little too chilly to hang outside at night, you can always make these s’mores when you feel the need. It’s all done indoors, and would be a perfect treat for a kid’s sleepover.